Download PDF version
Welcome to StreetShares. Your privacy is important to us. If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, please contact StreetShares at email@example.com.
StreetShares, Inc. operates StreetShares.com, a members-only online social-lending marketplace where small businesses receive business loans from qualified Mainstreet lenders and find tools and resources to help run their small businesses.
The StreetShares Commitment
The StreetShares community is built on trust, and StreetShares is committed to your privacy and the protection of your sensitive personal information. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect
StreetShares collects four categories of information:
- Information from all Site Users to help us maintain the appropriate features, functionality, and user experience,
- Personal information required to verify the identity and eligibility for membership of prospective Members,
- Personal and financial information necessary to permit a Business Borrower Member ("Business Borrower" or "Borrower") to submit a request to borrow funds ("Loan Request") or for an Investor Member ("Investor") to invest through the StreetShares platform, and
- Optional personal information a Member may wish to share in the furtherance of a Member's goals in using the StreetShares platform.
Age Requirements: Over 18
The Site is intended for use by adults only. No one under the age of eighteen (18) may register on the Site. By registering for and using the Site, you are certifying that you are not under eighteen (18) years of age. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person whom we know to be under the age of eighteen (18). If you become aware of any person under eighteen (18) years of age using the Site, please notify us at email@example.com.
Information We Collect from Site Users
We collect information about your computer and your visits to our web site, such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit, page views, and other information. We use this aggregated information in the administration of our web site to improve its usability and to evaluate the success of particular marketing/advertising campaigns, search engine optimization strategies, and other marketing activities.
In addition, we gather the names and email addresses or other contact information of anyone who contacts us with questions about our company or operations in order to serve the respective needs of these individuals and assist these individuals as appropriate.
Information We Collect from Members
Types of Members
StreetShares is a membership community, and non-member visitors to the Site must provide additional information and qualify to become StreetShares Members. There are two types of StreetShares Members: Business Borrowers and Investors. Personal information is collected from both types of Members. Some information we collect depends on the type of membership you request. Business Borrowers are represented on the Site by Business Borrower Representatives - individuals who act as authorized agents of the Business Borrower on the Site.
Certain personal information must be supplied during the Investor and Business Borrower registration processes. Members' personal information is necessary to (a) enable registered Users to login to the Site, (b) verify Members' identities and eligibility for membership as Business Borrowers or Investors, (c) enable Investor Members to evaluate Loan Requests from Business Borrower Members, and (d) guard against potential fraud. Information we collect from Members includes, but is not limited to:
- Email addresses (collected from Investor and Business Borrower Members and Business Borrower Representatives),
- Full Names (collected from Investor and Business Borrower Members and Business Borrower Representatives) and Non-identifying display names (Investor Members),
- Physical addresses and telephone numbers (collected from Investor and Business Borrower Members and Business Borrower Representatives),
- Dates of birth (collected from Investor Members and Business Borrower Representatives) and age of business (Business Borrowers),
- Addresses and telephone numbers (collected from Investor and Business Borrower Members and Business Borrower Representatives),
- Social security numbers (collected from Investor Members and Business Borrower Members and Business Borrower Representatives) and employee identification numbers (Business Borrowers),
- Citizenship, income, net worth, determinants of financial sophistication, and other information relevant to determining accredited investor status (collected from prospective Investor Members),
- Business websites (collected from Business Borrower Members),
- Social media profiles (optional),
- Bank account information (collected from Investor and Business Borrower Members) in order to conduct funding, repayment, distribution, and other transactions,
- Information about the size, revenue, financial condition, composition, and nature of a Businesses Borrower, information Business Borrower's provide to create a Loan Request, "pitch" information, credit information, text, images, narrative, social media information, and supporting documents as necessary (collected from Business Borrower Members).
Uses of Information We Collect from Business Borrower Members
When a Member registers as a Business Borrower, we will use this information to:
- Obtain an individual and/or business credit report from our credit bureau partners and/or other business reports to help assess a Business Borrower Loan Request and whether it should be posted to other Investor Members on the Site,
- Help the Member generate a Business Borrower profile and Loan Request "pitch" on the Site,
- Complete transaction documents,
- Enable us or our financial services partners to implement automatic payments and fund transfers,
- Contact Members for customer service purposes,
- Implement transaction and collection activities as needed,
- Maintain regular communications with Members concerning transactions Members initiate, such as requesting information or assistance, submitting a Loan Request, making payments, transferring funds, and other related activities,
- Comply with federal and state regulations and requests for information, as required by law.
Uses of Information We Collect from Investor Members
When a Member registers as an Investor, we will use this information to:
- Verify the Investor's identity and eligibility to be an investor on the Site, including accredited investor status,
- Grant Member access to Loan Requests posted by Business Borrowers,
- Complete transaction documents,
- Enable automatic payments, fund transfers, repayments, and distributions,
- Contact the Member regarding a transaction member requested or to discuss a problem with Member's account,
- Maintain regular communications with Members as may be necessary to execute transactions member requests, such as bidding on a Loan Request, submitting loan and transferring funds, and other activities,
- Comply with regulators' requests for information and meet other legal requirements.
How and When Member Information Is Shared With Other Parties
Information is shared with other parties in the following ways:
- Business Borrowers create Loan Requests, including personalized "pitches," that are shared with Investors. Loan Requests contain information provided by the Business Borrower, including title, business description, address, narrative text, images, financial information, relevant financial ratios, and supporting documents. Loan Requests also contain information produced by the StreetShares proprietary credit model based on the personal and financial information provided by the Business Borrower and third-party sources. Loan requests may also contain links to social media profiles of the Business Borrower or Business Borrower Representative, as well as affinity-group membership information (such as military service, or other information) provided by the Business Borrower Representative.
- Business Borrowers will be able to see the display name of Investors, and Investors can see the Loan Request and any "pitch" information about the Business Borrower. Loan Requests may also contain answers to questions posed by Investors or communications between Business Borrowers and Investors. Investors may also have public profiles on the Site containing personal information that they have opted to include. Members may create posts, identified by display name or Business Borrower Name, to communicate with each other as authorized by the applicable StreetShares policies and its agreements.
- StreetShares may share required and optional information about Members with outside partners and/or service providers as necessary to provide services to Members.
- StreetShares may share Member information with law enforcement or other government agencies as required by law or for the purposes of limiting fraud or to otherwise comply with legal requirements or legal process. We reserve the right to disclose Member personal information when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court orders, regulatory requests, or other legal process.
- StreetShares works with a number of trusted service partners that perform vital functions as part of our operations, including, but not limited to, consumer and business credit bureaus, collection agencies, electronic payment service providers, and customer support call centers, among others. Information is shared with these third parties only to the extent necessary for us to process the transactions Members initiate or perform other specific services, like collections.
We will retain information for as long as an account is active or as needed to provide services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How Members' StreetShares Loan Data is Shared
When a Business Borrower Member creates a Loan Request, the Member places information on the Site that may be visible to other Members, as discussed above in "How and When Member Information is Shared with Other Parties," above. Additionally, Business Borrowers and Business Borrower Representatives provide personal information from which individual and business credit reports are obtained, such information may be shared as permitted by law. If a Business Borrower successfully received a previous loan through StreetShares, we will also display status information about the Borrower's loan to Investors. The Business Borrower Member's current and prior payment performance information, such as late payments, debt balances, collections activity, or any other instances of delinquency may be displayed to Investor Members, as permitted by law. Additionally, StreetShares may share individual or pooled loan information as necessary to transfer, assign, use as collateral, or securitize loan assets.
Your Options and Communications from Our Site
Members may not opt out of some communications
When Members register on our Site, Members will receive required emails that relate to account servicing or confirm specific actions requested. Members will receive notifications confirming Member registration, the successful verification of bank accounts, confirmation of successful submissions and transactions, information related to Business Borrower loans or Loan Requests, closing documents, and emails for other purposes necessary to protect the security of the Member account and Member personal information. Members may control the frequency of some servicing communications, but this must occur within the limits of StreetShares' duty to ensure that our Members are informed of certain actions related to Members' activities on the platform.
Members may opt out or elect the frequency with which the Member wishes to receive certain emails and notices
Links to Third-Party Websites
StreetShares may work with certain charitable, veterans' organizations, or outside business partners. From time to time, StreetShares may provide a link to these third-party websites. StreetShares is not responsible for the information practices employed by sites linked to or from our website. In most cases, links to non-StreetShares websites are provided solely as an access point to obtain information on other issues or topics that may be useful to the Users of the StreetShares website. Third-party websites may have different privacy policies and/or security standards governing their sites. You should read these privacy policies carefully.
The public portion of the Site available to non-members may contain testimonials of Members on our Site in addition to other endorsements. We may also display successful Business Borrower "pitches" and Loan Requests for the benefit of other Members, prospective Business Borrowers, the media, and the public. Your use of the Site constitutes your consent to appear in a testimonial. If a Member wishes to not appear in a Member testimonial, the Member may make such a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where Members Can Find and/or Correct Member Information
As a registered User, you can update certain Member information on the website by clicking on the "settings" after log-in. To change any other information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Compliance with State and Federal Laws
StreetShares Security Policy
StreetShares safeguards your personal and sensitive information through physical, electronic, and operational policies and practices. Your personal data is considered highly confidential. Data can only be read or written through defined service access points, the use of which is password-protected. The physical security of the data is achieved through a combination of network firewalls (there is no direct communication allowed between the database server and the Internet), encryption, and servers with hardened operating systems, all housed in a secure facility. Access to the system, both physical and electronic, is carefully controlled. Further, we also equip our servers with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificate technology. SSL ensures that all data entered into the web site is encrypted. To verify that SSL is being used, look for the key or padlock icon on your browser.
For security purposes, StreetShares requires complicated passwords. We have also instituted secure steps by which you can regain access to your account should you forget you password, including the use of a security question. Passwords are not known to any employee or StreetShares affiliate, and we will never ask for your password as a means of identification. You should never share your password with anyone, and if you ever receive an email purporting to come from StreetShares that asks for your password, you should not provide information in response to this email. Instead, you should immediately report this email to StreetShares customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ID Theft Policy and Your Responsibilities
StreetShares utilizes state-of-the-art authentication technology to verify identities. StreetShares will work with law enforcement authorities to track down and prosecute anyone who has committed identity theft.
To protect your account, we send automatic notifications confirming certain actions taken on your account, such as changes to a password or external linked account. We do this for your own protection so that you can be sure no one else is making changes to your account without your knowledge. However, the security offered through these notifications can be undermined if other people have access to your email account. Therefore, you should consider restricting access to the email account registered with the Site and/or changing your password on that email account frequently.
Warning Against Use of Public Computer
If you use a computer that is accessed by other people, such as in a public library or Internet cafe, we recommend that you take special precautions to protect the security of your account and personal data. When you are finished using our Site, you should log out completely, then close the browser window and clear the browser's cache files.
Beware of Phishing
You should also be aware of fraudulent attempts to gain access to your account information known as "phishing." Phishing is a tactic used by scammers in which unsuspecting people are brought to a web site by a genuine-looking email purporting to be from a legitimate company. The phony or "spoof" email takes the person to a web site that looks legitimate but in fact is not. Either in the email itself or on this fake site, scammers will ask for login information to gain access to people's accounts and withdraw their money. StreetShares will never ask for your login information in the context of any email. In general, you can protect yourself against phishing by never providing personal or login information via an email. You should also check the URL of a web site to be sure that it begins with the correct domain. In the case of StreetShares, you should always ensure the URL begins with http://StreetShares.com or https://StreetShares.com.
We May Make Changes to This Policy
Please contact us with any questions regarding this policy:
StreetShares Attn: Compliance Department
1900 Campus Commons Drive, Suite 200, Reston, VA 20191
Email at: email@example.com
Customer Support: 1.800.560.1435